If your travels take you to Philadelphia this summer, then don’t forget to pack along your cell phone, so you can take advantage of this free tour of one of the most historic sections of the city.
Compliments of the Samuel S. Fels Fund and the Dolfinger-McMahon Foundation, this free cell phone tour offers an in-depth look at the buildings located along Elfreth’s Alley. To being the tour, just dial (585) 627-4152 on your cell phone. At the prompt enter one of the access codes listed below for a specific themed tour, or just key in the house number to learn more about a specific structure.
Thematic Tour Access Codes
- 80 – Elfreth’s Alley in the Eighteenth Century:” A Community of Artisans
- 70 – Elfreth’s Alley in the Nineteenth Century: A Community of Immigrants
- 50 – Women and Community in Eighteenth-Century Philadelphia
- 60 – The Architecture of Elfreth’s Alley
- 90 – The Preservation of Elfreth’s Alley
It’s a fun tour, an you can do it at your own pace. There is level access through the alley, so it’s a good option for wheelers and slow walkers. And again, the price is right — it’s free!