Yosemite Slated to Open – Reservations for Day Use Required

Share

Yosemite National Park will be opening on a limited basis on June 11, 2020; however advance reservations will be required for all day visitors.

 

 

No reservations will be required for:

  • People who have concessionaire-operated lodging or camping reservations
  • People who ride YARTS
  • People who have a wilderness of Half Dome permit
  • People who have a vacation rental reservation inside the park
  • People who are on tours operated by approved vendors

Day-use reservations are capped at a 50% capacity and are available at www.recreation.gov. Even if you have a national park pass you need to make a reservation. Reservations will be validated at the park entrance station and will be good for seven days. A valid ID will be required, and reservations are non-transferable, Day-use reservations are valid from 5 am to 11 pm each day. Day-use reservation holders may not be in the park between 11 pm and 5 am (overnight).

If the entrance station is not staffed when you enter, you must complete a self-certification card at the entrance station and display it in your windshield. You must also be in possession of a valid in-park reservation or permit. Reservations are not available at entrance stations — they must be purchased in advance.

A $2 reservation fee will be charged.

Eighty percent of the reservations for June and July will be available on June 9, 2020. Beginning on the first of each subsequent month, 80% of day-use reservations will be available for the following month. The remaining 20% of the reservations will be available two days prior to the reservation date.

The park will monitor conditions and adjust the maximum capacity, if needed.

The following areas of the park will remain closed.

  • Lower Yosemite Falls Boulders (between footbridge and viewing area)
  • Bridalveil Falls
  • Crane Flat Helibase
  • Chowchilla Mountain Road

Tioga Road will open on Monday, June 15, 2020. Visitors will need a reservation to travel on Tioga Road, even if they don’t plan to stop along the way.

Entering the park without a permit or valid self-certification card is a violation of federal regulations, with maximum penalties of a $5,000 fine and/or up to six months in jail.

The reservation policy is expected to last through October 2020.

And if you need information about accessible things to do in Yosemite, check out my book at www.barrierfreeyosemite.com.

 

Share